Under-desk treadmills are a space-saving and convenient way to engage in daily exercise. People can walk while working with desk add-ons or make the most out of a smaller space with foldable treadmills.
A quick look at 10 of the best under-desk treadmills
Adults spend more than half their waking hours, or roughly 10–13 hours a day, sitting. Treadmills are one way to engage in exercise, and people may use under-desk treadmills to exercise while working.
This article discusses what to consider in an under-desk treadmill, some treadmills available to purchase online, and answers frequently asked questions.
Research shows that using an under-desk treadmill can have the following positive effects:
- increasing the number of calories a person burns
- speeding up the metabolism
- reducing the amount of time a person spends sitting down
Research also suggests that using an under-desk treadmill improves glucose and HDL cholesterol levels.
People should ensure that it is easy to transition between walking and working when using an under-desk treadmill.
While these treadmills do not appear to affect workplace productivity and concentration, people should still ensure that the under-desk treadmill will not adversely affect their working hours.
Medical News Today chooses fitness equipment that meets the following criteria where possible:
- Price: MNT chooses products available for a wide range of budgets.
- Size and capacity: MNT selects products to suit people of different heights, weights, and strengths.
- Connectivity: Where fitness equipment has fitness memberships or subscriptions, MNT ensures variation in classes and services that benefit a person’s health.
- Materials: MNT chooses products with safe and durable materials that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Ease of use: MNT selects simple-to-use products that have clear instructions. If set-up is complicated, MNT chooses brands that offer a set-up or installation service.
- Quality: MNT chooses companies that adhere to high quality manufacturing processes that ensure its products are safe for personal use.
- Reputable: MNT chooses products from businesses that adhere to industry best practices and that offer reliable customer service and support.
Below are some under-desk treadmills a person may consider purchasing online.
Best dual-purpose: Goplus 2 in 1 Folding Treadmill
- Price: list price of around $500
- Size: 49 x 27 x 42 inches (in)
- Top speed: 3 miles per hour (mph)
- Maximum user weight: 265 pounds (lb)
This under-desk treadmill has a riser that people can fold for walking and raise when running. The 2.25 horsepower motor is quiet, and the company states that the five-layer running belt reduces the impact on joints and muscles.
This treadmill weighs 69.5 lb. Additional features include:
- phone holders
- remote control
- LED display
- Bluetooth connectivity
However, some people may find switching between walking and running set-ups complicated.
Best for meetings: ThermoTread GT Office Treadmill
- Price: list price of $2,199
- Size: 67.5 x 28.35 x 9.5 in