THE WOODLANDS, Texas, Dec. 07, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Conn’s, Inc. (NASDAQ: CONN) (“Conn’s” or the “Company”), a specialty retailer of furniture and mattresses, home appliances, consumer electronics and home office products, and provider of consumer credit, today announced its financial results for the quarter ended October 31, 2021.
“Retail sales momentum accelerated during the third quarter as same store sales increased 20.6% over the prior fiscal year period and were up 9.7% on a two-year basis. Strong retail sales reflect our success expanding our addressable market, as we serve customers across the spectrum of payment options, scale our digital platform and maintain in-stock inventory levels throughout our product categories,” stated Chandra Holt, Conn’s Chief Executive Officer.
“I am pleased with our strong execution in this fluid business environment, and we are well positioned for the fourth quarter and holiday season. We are on track to deliver significant revenue growth and record earnings this fiscal year. I am excited by the direction we are headed and want to thank our team members for their continued hard work and dedication,” concluded Ms. Holt.
Third Quarter Financial Highlights as Compared to the Prior Fiscal Year Period (Unless Otherwise Noted):
- Same store sales increased 20.6% for the third quarter of fiscal year 2022 as compared to the third quarter of fiscal year 2021 and increased 9.7% on a two-year basis;
- Strong same store sales combined with the contribution of new stores drove a 28.8% increase in total retail sales for the third quarter of fiscal year 2022 as compared to the third quarter of fiscal year 2021;
- eCommerce sales increased 294.8% to a quarterly record of $19.2 million;
- Net earnings increased 140.0% to $0.60 per diluted share, compared to $0.25 per diluted share for the same period last fiscal year;
- Inventories increased 21.7% compared to total retail sales growth of 28.8%, with approximately 80% of SKUs available for next day delivery at October 31, 2021;
- Credit spread was 14.6%, the highest credit spread in over 10 years;
- At October 31, 2021, the carrying value of customer accounts receivable 60+ days past due declined 32.5% year-over-year, and the carrying value of re-aged accounts declined 42.9% year-over-year;
- Net debt as a percent of the portfolio balance at October 31, 2021, was approximately 37.7%, compared to 48.2% at October 31, 2020; and
- Completed $377.8 million ABS transaction in November 2021 at an all-in cost of funds of approximately 3.91%, representing a 110-basis point reduction from the most recent transaction, and the lowest all-in cost of funds since the Company re-entered the ABS market in September 2015.
Third Quarter Results
Net income for the three months ended October 31, 2021 was $18.2 million, or $0.60 per diluted share, compared to net income for the three months ended October 31, 2020 of $7.4 million, or $0.25 per diluted share.
Retail Segment Third Quarter Results
Retail revenues were $334.8 million for the three months ended October 31, 2021 compared to $259.9 million for the three months ended October 31, 2020, an increase of $74.9 million or 28.8%. The increase in retail revenue was primarily driven by an increase in same store sales of 20.6%, new store growth and an increase in RSA commissions. The increase in same store sales reflects an increase in demand across most of the Company’s home-related product categories. The increase also reflects the impact of prior year proactive underwriting changes, which were the result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For the three months ended October 31, 2021 and 2020, retail segment operating income was $22.5 million and $15.2 million, respectively. The …….